North to South: A Relocation Guide to the Wilmington North Carolina Coast
WANT TO MOVE SOUTH?
What is the Wilmington NC Real Estate market like these days? Where in the world is Wilmington NC, you ask? Well, after a brief introduction I am going to reveal one of the East Coasts best kept secrets to you.
The recent trend has been for people relocating from the northeast region into the south in pursuit of milder climates, more outdoor activity and just a generally more relaxed pace of life. These are all great reasons for you to want to relocate your business, switch jobs or to retire in combination with a relocation to the Southern United States. Another recent trend is for people to consider coastal areas that can bring the same benefits that moving to Florida offers without many of its drawbacks.
Some disadvantages of relocating to Florida:
- Year-round Bugs (no frost)
- Overpopulated Areas
- Distance to Travel Back North
- Tropical Weather
- Real Estate Prices
- Property Taxes
CONSIDER WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
You can probably add some more disadvantages to this list but no need to beat a dead horse. You may be asking yourself the same question that many others have asked before- "Where can I find comfortable, affordable housing in a relaxed outdoor atmosphere with a coastal feel?" The answer: look no further than just a 6 to 10 hour drive away from points north like:
- Washington, DC (6 hrs.)
- Philadelphia, PA (8 hrs.)
- New York, NY (10 hrs.)
- Pittsburg, PA (10 hrs.)
- New Jersey / most cities (10 hrs.)
Yes, Wilmington NC has one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world for you to enjoy. The opportunity exists for numerous outdoor activities just outside the door of your Wilmington NC home. Deep sea fishing excursions, world-class year-round golf, major shopping outlets, antiques, beach combing, kayaking / canoeing and so many more activities are available here in Wilmington NC. The local beach communities of Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, Oak Island and Topsail Island offer uncrowded, well-kept beaches for you to enjoy. The best thing is that all of these areas are within a 30-45 min. drive from each other so you can feel the relaxation of being secluded away from the hustle and bustle of city life without missing out on all the activities and conveniences.
WILMINGTON NC AREA HOME CHOICES
If you are thinking about relocation to the south or about investing in a second home or vacation home then your search should definitely include a Wilmington NC area property. You have a number of choices when you are thinking about Wilmington NC Real Estate:
- A Wrightsville Beach Condominium or Townhome – Offers an island style "feel" with a close-knit oceanfront community. Prices tend to be higher but the scenery is beautiful and the location is very central for oceanfront living. This beach community tends to see high volumes of people during the summer months and winds down to a very quiet solitude in the winter months. Many homes here are second homes and upscale vacation rentals. If you want to invest in a second home and be able to make some cash flow from it then Wrightsville Beach is a good choice.
- A Downtown Loft or Historic Home – Offers a more eclectic feel among the numerous downtown restaurants, lounges, shops and the riverfront boardwalk. Bed and Breakfast style lodging is popular in the downtown area with its quaint antique shops and art galleries. Wilmington's historic district is experiencing a revival with many homes already restored and many more undergoing reconstruction every month. If you want to be able to walk almost everywhere you may need to go then downtown Wilmington may be a good choice for you.
- Gated and Golf Communities – Offer a more modern feel with large newly constructed homes or low-maintenance townships in the security of a gated community and / or with world-class golf courses onsite. The amenities are beginning to rival even the greatest 5-star resorts at Wilmington NC area planned communities like Brunswick Forest , Landfall , Figure Eight Island , Magnolia Greens and Waterford . Locations can vary from near the ocean on the intracoastal waterway (with a boat slip for your boat) to 30 min. drive from the ocean away from all the hustle and bustle.
- Carolina Beach Homes on Pilings or Condos – Carolina Beach offers a more "laid-back" beachfront atmosphere with a good mix of year-round island residents along with the usual summer increase in population. A number of good fishing charters leave out of Carolina Beach marina while the drive-on beach (4-wheel drive required) and fishing pier offer great fishing opportunities year-round. Neighboring Kure Beach is home to a state park recreation area, state aquarium and a vehicle ferry that takes commuters and travelers across the Cape Fear River to the town of Southport. As you can see the choices are many when it comes to Wilmington NC Real Estate. The Cape Fear region has all the best that coastal living has to offer but without the crime, traffic and tropical heat. Making a move to Wilmington NC is a smart choice for anyone wanting to relocate from up north. Start researching the options available to you by relocating to the beautiful Cape Fear NC region and come enjoy the coastal living that you deserve!